1. a vertical cylindrical furnace for melting iron for casting
2. a roof in the form of a dome
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Cupola \Cu"po*la\ (k?"p?-l?), n.; pl. Cupolas (-l?z). [It.
cupola, LL. cupula, cuppula (cf. L. cupula little tub). fr.
cupa, cuppa, cup; cf. L. cupa tub. So called on account of
its resemblance to a cup turned over. See Cup, and cf.
1. (Arch.) A roof having a rounded form, hemispherical or
nearly so; also, a ceiling having the same form. When on a
large scale it is usually called dome.
2. A small structure standing on the top of a dome; a
3. A furnace for melting iron or other metals in large
quantity, -- used chiefly in foundries and steel works.
4. A revolving shot-proof turret for heavy ordnance.
5. (Anat.) The top of the spire of the cochlea of the ear.
WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006):
n 1: a vertical cylindrical furnace for melting iron for casting
2: a roof in the form of a dome
Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
59 Moby Thesaurus words for "cupola":
antenna tower, apse, arcade, arcature, arch, arched roof, archway,
barbican, belfry, bell tower, camber, campanile, ceilinged roof,
colossus, column, concameration, concha, cove, derrick, dome,
fire tower, geodesic dome, igloo, keystone, lantern, lighthouse,
martello, martello tower, mast, minaret, monument, obelisk,
observation tower, ogive, pagoda, pilaster, pillar, pinnacle, pole,
pylon, pyramid, shaft, skewback, skyscraper, span, spire,
standpipe, steeple, stupa, television mast, tope, tour, tower,
turret, vault, vaulting, voussoir, water tower, windmill tower