Search Result for "blow out":
1. melt, break, or become otherwise unusable;
- Example: "The lightbulbs blew out"
- Example: "The fuse blew"
[syn: blow out, burn out, blow]
2. put out, as of fires, flames, or lights;
- Example: "Too big to be extinguished at once, the forest fires at best could be contained"
- Example: "quench the flames"
- Example: "snuff out the candles"
[syn: snuff out, blow out, extinguish, quench]
3. erupt in an uncontrolled manner;
- Example: "The oil well blew out"
Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
96 Moby Thesaurus words for "blow out": backfire, belch, blast, blow, blow open, blow up, break out, burst, burst forth, burst out, bust, cast forth, choke, clean out, clear, clear away, clear off, clear out, clear the decks, damp, debouch, decant, defecate, deplete, detonate, discharge, disembogue, disgorge, douse, drain, drain out, ejaculate, eject, eliminate, empty, empty out, eruct, erupt, evacuate, exhaust, expel, explode, extinguish, extravasate, find vent, fire, flow, flow out, fulminate, go off, gush, gush out, hurl forth, jet, let off, out, outflow, outpour, pour, pour forth, pour out, purge, put out, quench, remove, run out, scour out, send forth, send out, set off, shoot, slack, sluice out, smother, snuff, snuff out, spew, spew out, spout, spout out, spurt, squirt, stamp out, stifle, surge, sweep out, throw out, touch off, unclog, unfoul, vent, void, vomit, vomit forth, well, well out