Search Result for "window frame":
Wordnet 3.0

NOUN (1)

1. the framework that supports a window;

The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:

Window \Win"dow\, n. [OE. windowe, windoge, Icel. vindauga window, properly, wind eye; akin to Dan. vindue. ????. See Wind, n., and Eye.] [1913 Webster] 1. An opening in the wall of a building for the admission of light and air, usually closed by casements or sashes containing some transparent material, as glass, and capable of being opened and shut at pleasure. [1913 Webster] I leaped from the window of the citadel. --Shak. [1913 Webster] Then to come, in spite of sorrow, And at my window bid good morrow. --Milton. [1913 Webster] 2. (Arch.) The shutter, casement, sash with its fittings, or other framework, which closes a window opening. [1913 Webster] 3. A figure formed of lines crossing each other. [R.] [1913 Webster] Till he has windows on his bread and butter. --King. [1913 Webster] 4. a period of time in which some activity may be uniquely possible, more easily accomplished, or more likely to succeed; as, a launch window for a mission to Mars. [PJC] 5. (Computers) a region on a computer display screen which represents a separate computational process, controlled more or less independently from the remaining part of the screen, and having widely varying functions, from simply displaying information to comprising a separate conceptual screen in which output can be visualized, input can be controlled, program dialogs may be accomplished, and a program may be controlled independently of any other processes occurring in the computer. The window may have a fixed location and size, or (as in modern Graphical User Interfaces) may have its size and location on the screen under the control of the operator. [PJC] [1913 Webster] French window (Arch.), a casement window in two folds, usually reaching to the floor; -- called also French casement. Window back (Arch.), the inside face of the low, and usually thin, piece of wall between the window sill and the floor below. Window blind, a blind or shade for a window. Window bole, part of a window closed by a shutter which can be opened at will. [Scot.] Window box, one of the hollows in the sides of a window frame for the weights which counterbalance a lifting sash. Window frame, the frame of a window which receives and holds the sashes or casement. Window glass, panes of glass for windows; the kind of glass used in windows. Window martin (Zool.), the common European martin. [Prov. Eng.] Window oyster (Zool.), a marine bivalve shell (Placuna placenta) native of the East Indies and China. Its valves are very broad, thin, and translucent, and are said to have been used formerly in place of glass. Window pane. (a) (Arch.) See Pane, n., 3 (b) . (b) (Zool.) See Windowpane, in the Vocabulary. Window sash, the sash, or light frame, in which panes of glass are set for windows. Window seat, a seat arranged in the recess of a window. See Window stool, under Stool. Window shade, a shade or blind for a window; usually, one that is hung on a roller. Window shell (Zool.), the window oyster. Window shutter, a shutter or blind used to close or darken windows. Window sill (Arch.), the flat piece of wood, stone, or the like, at the bottom of a window frame. Window swallow (Zool.), the common European martin. [Prov. Eng.] Window tax, a tax or duty formerly levied on all windows, or openings for light, above the number of eight in houses standing in cities or towns. [Eng.] [1913 Webster]
WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006):

window frame n 1: the framework that supports a window