1. [syn: regular polyhedron, regular convex solid, regular convex polyhedron, Platonic body, Platonic solid, ideal solid]
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Regular \Reg"u*lar\ (-l?r), a. [L. regularis, fr. regula a rule,
fr. regere to guide, to rule: cf. F. r['e]gulier. See
1. Conformed to a rule; agreeable to an established rule,
law, principle, or type, or to established customary
forms; normal; symmetrical; as, a regular verse in poetry;
a regular piece of music; a regular verb; regular practice
of law or medicine; a regular building.
2. Governed by rule or rules; steady or uniform in course,
practice, or occurence; not subject to unexplained or
irrational variation; returning at stated intervals;
steadily pursued; orderlly; methodical; as, the regular
succession of day and night; regular habits.
3. Constituted, selected, or conducted in conformity with
established usages, rules, or discipline; duly authorized;
permanently organized; as, a regular meeting; a regular
physican; a regular nomination; regular troops.
4. Belonging to a monastic order or community; as, regular
clergy, in distinction dfrom the secular clergy.
5. Thorough; complete; unmitigated; as, a regular humbug.
6. (Bot. & Zool.) Having all the parts of the same kind alike
in size and shape; as, a regular flower; a regular sea
7. (Crystallog.) Same as Isometric.
Regular polygon (Geom.), a plane polygon which is both
equilateral and equiangular.
Regular polyhedron (Geom.), a polyhedron whose faces are
equal regular polygons. There are five regular
polyhedrons, -- the tetrahedron, the hexahedron, or cube,
the octahedron, the dodecahedron, and the icosahedron.
Regular sales (Stock Exchange), sales of stock deliverable
on the day after the transaction.
Regular troops, troops of a standing or permanent army; --
opposed to militia.
Syn: Normal; orderly; methodical. See Normal.
WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006):
n 1: any one of five solids whose faces are congruent regular
polygons and whose polyhedral angles are all congruent
[syn: regular polyhedron, regular convex solid,
regular convex polyhedron, Platonic body, Platonic
solid, ideal solid]