1. [syn: exhausted, dog-tired, fagged, fatigued, played out, spent, washed-out, worn-out(a), worn out(p)]
2. worn out;
- Example: "a played out deck of cards"
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Play \Play\, v. t.
1. To put in action or motion; as, to play cannon upon a
fortification; to play a trump.
First Peace and Silence all disputes control,
Then Order plays the soul. --Herbert.
2. To perform music upon; as, to play the flute or the organ.
3. To perform, as a piece of music, on an instrument; as, to
play a waltz on the violin.
4. To bring into sportive or wanton action; to exhibit in
action; to execute; as, to play tricks.
Wantoned as in her prime, and played at will
Her virgin fancies. --Milton.
5. To act or perform (a play); to represent in music action;
as, to play a comedy; also, to act in the character of; to
represent by acting; to simulate; to behave like; as, to
play King Lear; to play the woman.
Thou canst play the rational if thou wilt. --Sir W.
6. To engage in, or go together with, as a contest for
amusement or for a wager or prize; as, to play a game at
7. To keep in play, as a hooked fish, in order to land it.
To play hob, to play the part of a mischievous spirit; to
To play off, to display; to show; to put in exercise; as,
to play off tricks.
To play one's cards, to manage one's means or
opportunities; to contrive.
Played out, tired out; exhausted; at the end of one's
WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006):
adj 1: drained of energy or effectiveness; extremely tired;
completely exhausted; "the day's shopping left her
exhausted"; "he went to bed dog-tired"; "was fagged and
sweaty"; "the trembling of his played out limbs"; "felt
completely washed-out"; "only worn-out horses and
cattle"; "you look worn out" [syn: exhausted, dog-
tired, fagged, fatigued, played out, spent,
washed-out, worn-out(a), worn out(p)]
2: worn out; "a played out deck of cards"
Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
56 Moby Thesaurus words for "played out":
all in, ausgespielt, beat, beat up, beaten, bone-weary, burned-out,
bushed, dead, dead-and-alive, dead-tired, deadbeat, devitalized,
disabled, dog-tired, dog-weary, done, done in, done up, drained,
effete, emptied, enervated, enfeebled, eviscerated, exhausted,
fagged out, far-gone, fatigued, frazzled, gone, incapacitated,
jaded, knocked out, laid low, pooped, pooped out, prostrate,
ready to drop, run-down, sapped, shotten, spent, tired, tired out,
tired to death, tuckered out, used up, washed-up, wasted, weakened,
weary unto death, whacked, wiped out, worn, worn-out