Search Result for "pallid":
1. abnormally deficient in color as suggesting physical or emotional distress;
- Example: "the pallid face of the invalid"
- Example: "her wan face suddenly flushed"
[syn: pale, pallid, wan]
2. (of light) lacking in intensity or brightness; dim or feeble;
- Example: "the pale light of a half moon"
- Example: "a pale sun"
- Example: "the late afternoon light coming through the el tracks fell in pale oblongs on the street"
- Example: "a pallid sky"
- Example: "the pale (or wan) stars"
- Example: "the wan light of dawn"
[syn: pale, pallid, wan, sick]
3. lacking in vitality or interest or effectiveness;
- Example: "a pale rendition of the aria"
- Example: "pale prose with the faint sweetness of lavender"
- Example: "a pallid performance"
[syn: pale, pallid]
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Pallid \Pal"lid\, a. [L. pallidus, fr. pallere to be or look pale. See pale, a.] Deficient in color; pale; wan; as, a pallid countenance; pallid blue. --Spenser. [1913 Webster]Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
134 Moby Thesaurus words for "pallid": achromatic, achromic, aghast, anemic, appalled, arid, ashen, ashy, astounded, awed, awestricken, awestruck, barren, blah, blanched, blank, bled white, bloodless, cadaverous, characterless, chloranemic, cold, colorless, cowed, dead, deadly pale, deathly pale, dim, dimmed, dingy, discolored, dismal, doughy, draggy, drearisome, dreary, dry, dryasdust, dull, dusty, effete, elephantine, empty, etiolated, exsanguinated, exsanguine, exsanguineous, fade, faded, faint, fallow, flat, frozen, ghastly, gray, gray with fear, haggard, heavy, ho-hum, hollow, horrified, horror-struck, hueless, hypochromic, inane, inexcitable, insipid, intimidated, jejune, lackluster, leaden, lifeless, livid, low-spirited, lurid, lusterless, mat, mealy, muddy, neutral, pale, pale as death, pale-faced, paralyzed, pasty, pedestrian, petrified, plodding, pointless, poky, ponderous, sallow, scared stiff, scared to death, sickly, slow, solemn, spiritless, sterile, stiff, stodgy, stuffy, stunned, stupefied, superficial, tallow-faced, tasteless, tedious, terrified, terror-crazed, terror-haunted, terror-ridden, terror-riven, terror-shaken, terror-smitten, terror-struck, terror-troubled, toneless, uncolored, undone, unlively, unmanned, unnerved, unstrung, vapid, wan, washed-out, waterish, watery, waxen, weak, whey-faced, white, wooden