The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Score \Score\ (sk[=o]r), n. [AS. scor twenty, fr. sceran,
scieran, to shear, cut, divide; or rather the kindred Icel.
skor incision, twenty, akin to Dan. skure a notch, Sw.
sk[*a]ra. See Shear.]
1. A notch or incision; especially, one that is made as a
tally mark; hence, a mark, or line, made for the purpose
Whereas, before, our forefathers had no other books
but the score and the tally, thou hast caused
printing to be used. --Shak.
2. An account or reckoning; account of dues; bill; hence,
He parted well, and paid his score. --Shak.
3. Account; reason; motive; sake; behalf.
But left the trade, as many more
Have lately done on the same score. --Hudibras.
You act your kindness in Cydaria's score. --Dryden.
4. The number twenty, as being marked off by a special score
or tally; hence, in pl., a large number.
Amongst three or four score hogsheads. --Shak.
At length the queen took upon herself to grant
patents of monopoly by scores. --Macaulay.
5. A distance of twenty yards; -- a term used in ancient
archery and gunnery. --Halliwell.
6. A weight of twenty pounds. [Prov. Eng.]
7. The number of points gained by the contestants, or either
of them, in any game, as in cards or cricket.
8. A line drawn; a groove or furrow.
9. (Mus.) The original and entire draught, or its transcript,
of a composition, with the parts for all the different
instruments or voices written on staves one above another,
so that they can be read at a glance; -- so called from
the bar, which, in its early use, was drawn through all
the parts. --Moore (Encyc. of Music).
10. the grade received on an examination, such as those given
in school or as a qualifying examination for a job or
admission to school; -- it may be expressed as a
percentage of answers which are correct, or as a number
or letter; as, a score of 98 in a civil service exam.
In score (Mus.), having all the parts arranged and placed
in juxtaposition. --Smart.
To quit scores, to settle or balance accounts; to render an
equivalent; to make compensation.
Does not the earth quit scores with all the elements
in the noble fruits that issue from it? --South.