[syn: distribution, dispersion]
3. the act of distributing or spreading or apportioning;
4. the commercial activity of transporting and selling goods from a producer to a consumer;
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Distribution \Dis`tri*bu"tion\, n. [L. distributio: cf. F.
1. The act of distributing or dispensing; the act of dividing
or apportioning among several or many; apportionment; as,
the distribution of an estate among heirs or children.
The phenomena of geological distribution are exactly
analogous to those of geography. --A. R.
2. Separation into parts or classes; arrangement of anything
into parts; disposition; classification.
3. That which is distributed. "Our charitable distributions."
4. (Logic) A resolving a whole into its parts.
5. (Print.) The sorting of types and placing them in their
proper boxes in the cases.
6. (Steam Engine) The steps or operations by which steam is
supplied to and withdrawn from the cylinder at each stroke
of the piston; viz., admission, suppression or cutting
off, release or exhaust, and compression of exhaust steam
prior to the next admission.
Geographical distribution, the natural arrangements of
animals and plants in particular regions or districts.
Syn: Apportionments; allotment; dispensation; disposal;
dispersion; classification; arrangement.
WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006):
n 1: (statistics) an arrangement of values of a variable showing
their observed or theoretical frequency of occurrence [syn:
distribution, statistical distribution]
2: the spatial or geographic property of being scattered about
over a range, area, or volume; "worldwide in distribution";
"the distribution of nerve fibers"; "in complementary
distribution" [syn: distribution, dispersion] [ant:
compactness, concentration, denseness, density,
3: the act of distributing or spreading or apportioning
4: the commercial activity of transporting and selling goods
from a producer to a consumer
Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0:
72 Moby Thesaurus words for "distribution":
administration, allocation, allotment, apportionment, arrangement,
array, arraying, assignment, attenuation, broadcast, broadcasting,
cataloguing, circulation, circumfusion, classification,
codification, collation, collocation, constitution, deployment,
diffraction, diffusion, dilution, disbursal, disbursement,
dispensation, dispersal, dispersion, disposal, disposition,
dissemination, dissipation, divergence, division, dole, doling,
doling out, evaporation, expansion, form, formation, formulation,
fragmentation, giving out, grouping, issuance, marshaling, order,
ordering, passing around, paying out, peppering, placement,
propagation, publication, radiation, regimentation, scattering,
scatterment, sequence, sharing, shotgun pattern, sowing,
spattering, splay, spread, spreading, sprinkling, strewing,
structuring, syntax, volatilization
The Jargon File (version 4.4.7, 29 Dec 2003):
1. A software source tree packaged for distribution; but see kit. Since
about 1996 unqualified use of this term often implies ?Linux
distribution?. The short form distro is often used for this sense.
2. A vague term encompassing mailing lists and Usenet newsgroups (but not
BBS fora); any topic-oriented message channel with multiple recipients.
3. An information-space domain (usually loosely correlated with geography)
to which propagation of a Usenet message is restricted; a
The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing (30 December 2018):
1. A software source tree packaged for
distribution; but see kit.
2. A vague term encompassing mailing lists and
Usenet newsgroups (but not BBS fora); any
topic-oriented message channel with multiple recipients.
3. An information-space domain (usually loosely
correlated with geography) to which propagation of a Usenet
message is restricted; a much-underused feature.