Search Result for "coursed rubble":

The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:

Rubble \Rub"ble\, n. [From an assumed Old French dim. of robe See Rubbish.] 1. Water-worn or rough broken stones; broken bricks, etc., used in coarse masonry, or to fill up between the facing courses of walls. [1913 Webster] Inside [the wall] there was rubble or mortar. --Jowett (Thucyd.). [1913 Webster] 2. Rough stone as it comes from the quarry; also, a quarryman's term for the upper fragmentary and decomposed portion of a mass of stone; brash. --Brande & C. [1913 Webster] 3. (Geol.) A mass or stratum of fragments or rock lying under the alluvium, and derived from the neighboring rock. --Lyell. [1913 Webster] 4. pl. The whole of the bran of wheat before it is sorted into pollard, bran, etc. [Prov. Eng.] --Simmonds. [1913 Webster] Coursed rubble, rubble masonry in which courses are formed by leveling off the work at certain heights. [1913 Webster]