Search Result for "couple-close": 

The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:

Couple-close \Cou"ple-close`\ (k[u^]p"'l*kl[=o]s`), n.; pl. Couple-closes (k[u^]p"'l*kl[=o]"s[e^]z). 1. (Her.) A diminutive of the chevron, containing one fourth of its surface. Couple-closes are generally borne one on each side of a chevron, and the blazoning may then be either a chevron between two couple-closes or chevron cottised. [1913 Webster] 2. (Arch.) A pair of rafters framed together with a tie fixed at their feet, or with a collar beam. [Engl.] [1913 Webster]