1. [syn: bastard wing, alula, spurious wing]
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:
Bastard \Bas"tard\, a.
1. Begotten and born out of lawful matrimony; illegitimate.
See Bastard, n., note.
2. Lacking in genuineness; spurious; false; adulterate; --
applied to things which resemble those which are genuine,
but are really not so.
That bastard self-love which is so vicious in
itself, and productive of so many vices. --Barrow.
3. Of an unusual or irregular make or proportion; as, a
bastard musket; a bastard culverin. [Obs.]
4. (Print.) Abbreviated, as the half title in a page
preceding the full title page of a book.
Bastard ashlar (Arch.), stones for ashlar work, roughly
squared at the quarry.
Bastard file, a file intermediate between the coarsest and
the second cut.
Bastard type (Print.), type having the face of a larger or
a smaller size than the body; e. g., a nonpareil face on a
Bastard wing (Zool.), three to five quill feathers on a
small joint corresponding to the thumb in some mammalia;
WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006):
n 1: tuft of small stiff feathers on the first digit of a bird's
wing [syn: bastard wing, alula, spurious wing]